It’s finally SPRING (as far as the calendar tells us in Arkansas, sometimes the weather begs to differ)! The days are longer, birds wake us and keep us company with their happy chirping throughout the day, flowers are in bloom and cute sandals are out in the stores! O Happy Day!!
I thought I’d put together a quick list of a few easy and fun things you can do at home to welcome Spring! I’m also adding some Easter dessert recipes to the Delicious Temptations section of the blog this afternoon. Forgive me for not posting in so long, but my Huzz was off work with me for Spring Break this week and we have just spent our time enjoying each other’s company and taking it easy – a little fishing, a little grilling, some fun time with the kiddos, a little shopping and some road tripping. It has been a really fun week and I am sad to see it end.
OK….back to our list! (Forgive my less than professional photography…..maybe I can work on honing those skills this summer!)
Ways to Add Some Zing to Your Spring!
1. Set a Spring table: I love to keep my table set with place mats and pretty plates. It just brightens up the kitchen and makes it seem more welcoming. Fiesta Ware dishes are some of my favorites! You can mix and match lots of bright colors with place mats and cloth napkins, a pretty centerpiece or some fun flowers and VOILA! your kitchen is a more warm and friendly place to be! Keep it simple! You can find Fiesta Ware at most kitchen stores or retail establishments that carry dishes and for place mats and napkins, one of my favorites is Pier 1. Although IMHO, Pier 1 can be a little pricey…..you can find great deals just about anywhere, just keep your eyes peeled. Another local favorite of mine is The Kitchen Store in Conway. My friend Tricia has a BEAUTIFUL business with an excellent inventory and super friendly staff. Another store to watch for in the Northwest Arkansas area that is coming soon from my friend Melissa Turpin is in Rogers and is called Honeycomb Kitchen Shop. If it is half as adorable as she is, you will DEFINITELY want to check it out! You can find them on Facebook at Honeycomb Kitchen Shop, and The Kitchen Store and More and conwaykitchen.com
2. Plant some pretty Spring flowers: Whether you have a green thumb or not, a pretty spring planter can add an easy pop of color and pizzazz to your patio or front porch! By doing a little research, you can find low maintenance flowers and plants that are easy to mix and match for sun or shade and beautify your outdoor space, or any space! Getting my patio planters full of beautiful flowers is one of my very favorite things to do in the Spring. It really isn’t hard to do, and you can find all sorts of online tutorials on Pinterest, or just by picking up a recent copy of Southern Living Magazine.
3. Get outdoors: What better time to focus on your fitness, or maybe just your sanity, than when the weather is so incredible! Get outside and do something you love! Whether it be riding bikes, taking a walk or a jog, or even something more adventurous! They don’t call Arkansas “The Natural State” for nothing! We are blessed with some of the most beautiful outdoor scenery and hiking trails around! Check out the scene at Petit Jean Mountain, Mt. Magazine State Park, The Big Dam Bridge and Pinnacle Mountain, just to name a few! If you’re not into that much activity, try Garvan Gardens and enjoy the Tulip Festival. It truly is one of the most magnificent, beautiful places! The daffodils at Wye Mountain are also incredible. Or……get yourself an ENO and find some trees! Take your favorite book and read in your hammock for awhile….or maybe just take a nap. This is a favorite pastime of my kiddos!
4. New Patio Cushions: If you love spending time grilling and enjoying your patio area, new patio cushions are a fun way to add a fresh touch of color to your favorite outdoor space. Again, Pier 1 is an easy go to for me. Their spring patio cushions are always fun and fashion forward! Some other places you might check out are Lowes, Home Depot, Wayfair, and Pottery Barn. Even our dog Lilly likes getting in on the Patio cushion action!
5. SHOOZ: Need I say more? If this seems like too much work, or maybe you’re just not the outdoorsy type, there isn’t a thing that can’t be solved with a new pair of spring shoes! Some of my favorite Spring sandal retailers include Wilkinson’s Mall in Conway, DSW, Dillard’s, and Belk. But before you sport those adorable spring sandals, make sure you have adorable spring toes to match! Treat yourself to a spa pedicure to rid yourself of those dry, winter piggies! A Nail Spa and Salon in Conway is my favorite place to indulge. They have excellent customer service, they call you by name when you walk in and they do a fantastic job! Check them out!
I hope these little suggestions help you Spring forward in a fun and fashionable way! Enjoy!